15 Sep 7 Types of Rest
How to rest… REALLY!
In our busy lives, the simple – & essential – need to get sufficient rest often gets cast aside. We think that to stop is to quit. To stop is to be lazy. We’ve developed these negative narratives around rest. We’ve even gone so far as to replace true rest with mindless phone scrolling & Netflix marathons. Let’s turn that around! Real rest should equal restoration in several key areas of your life. Here is a breakdown of the 7 Types of Rest as set out by Sandra Dalton-Smith MD in her TED talk ‘The Real Reason We Are Tired & What to Do About It’.
- sleeping, napping
- yin & restorative yoga, stretching
- float therapy
- take short breaks throughout the day to remind you to slow down, reset & re-energise
- keep a notepad handy to note down nagging thoughts that keep your brain ticking over at night
- step away from the need to people please & communicate your feelings with openness & honesty
- surround yourself with people who support you & lift you up
- take regular ‘screen’ breaks – phone, computer, TV, etc.
- switch off electronics at least an hour before bedtime
- give yourself some time away from background noise, multiple conversations, loud music, etc.
- awaken awe & wonder inside of you by getting into nature & soaking up different sights, sounds & smells
- spruce up your workspace – use colours, lighting, beautiful objects & art to inspire you in the creative process
- find the sacred in the everyday – through meditation, yoga, prayer &/or ritual
- find your tribe – attend workshops, classes or retreats. Join an online community or host an informal gathering to connect with others
- expand your vision by reading sacred texts or books on philosophy &/or spirituality