20 Feb Recipe: Cacao Protein Bars
Recipe: Cacao Protein Bars
3pm & need a little somethin’ to get you through the afternoon? These Cacao Protein Bars should hit the spot. They’re super easy to make… & a considerably cheaper option than store-bought (PLUS you actually know what’s in them…no nasties!) Feel free to customise this recipe; mix ‘n’ match different flavour combos to create YOUR ultimate protein bar!
What you need:
2 cups sulphur-free coconut threads
2 cups dates
1 cup cacao powder
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup cacao butter
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup goji berries
4 tablespoons protein powder of your choice (you may want to add more/less depending on what type of protein powder you use, & how it affects the flavour of the bars. I used collagen hydrolysate)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
10 drops peppermint oil (again, more or less, depending on how ‘minty’ you like your bars)
What to do:
Unless you have a supersized food processor, you’ll need to make these bars in batches. I like to combine all dry ingredients first, then halve the mixture & add the wet ingredients to each half.
1. Set up a double boiler & melt down the cacao butter & coconut oil.
2. Put the coconut threads, cacao powder & protein powder in a food processor & blitz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add goji berries, raisins, vanilla & peppermint oil to the mixture & continue to process for a minute.
4. With the machine still running, add in the dates – a few at a time – & the melted cacao butter & coconut oil. Blitz some more, until all ingredients are combined.
5. Line a large baking tray with plastic wrap or alfoil, & pour the mixture in. Use a palette knife or the back of a large spoon to press the mixture into the pan.
6. Put the pan in the fridge to set (or, if you’re impatient like me, put it in the freezer to speed up the process).
7. When set, cut the mixture into bars. If it’s too hard to cut, simply leave the mixture out on the kitchen counter for 10 or 15 minutes to soften.
Enjoy! Store in the fridge or freezer.
Julia of Sol Space Pilates + Movement.
You can swap recipes with Julia after class Mondays, Wednesdays + Saturdays. Book in your Pilates sesh here.